February 11, 2010

African Insurance


As a young child I had a great fear of death, but as I grew older that fear subsided. I realized the Lord had a time for me, that was not immediate but at some point would come, and I decided that before it happened, I should try to live a good life and do my best to prepare my soul by good deeds.

As I grew older my next great fear was of embarrassment; I was so afraid of being ashamed that I hardly spoke for fear of saying something inappropriate. My religion, however, teaches that he or she who is shy will not be a good student. The logic probably being that the person will be too afraid to ask questions, or to read, write and speak out loud and stand to be taught and corrected. So I strove and learned to overcome that fear and studied and worked hard to gain an education. Working nights, I put myself through school and today have a college degree. Hallelujah!

As an adult my next great fear was for the protection of my family, and it is one I doubt I will ever be able to overcome. What if God forbid my wife or child were to fall ill and I not have the ability to pay for the medical bills? I also worried very much about my parents, and how to help care for them. To manage the fear for my family's welfare I took out a medical insurance policy, and to my absolute astonishment, not long later my wife was diagnosed with an incurable medical condition and the best option was a new experimental medication that cost over US $500 a day, which they said might have to be paid every day for the rest of her life.

I witnessed several miracles. First, the insurance paid for the treatment. Second, we can throw the diagnosis of two years life expectancy the doctors gave out the window, it has been more than ten years now and the lady is looking and feeling even better today than before we even knew she was sick, and she is no longer on the medication. Third, the doctors said she could never have children and survive, and that we should forget the prospect altogether. Well, later they changed their minds, and she has given birth to a beautiful smart girl who is now seven years old and very playful. Praise the Lord!

However, eventually there comes that time when Our Heavenly Father comes to call his children to return, the mission they had for their life on earth complete and passed on to others. Having fallen on financial hard times, I am not financially prepared to handle the cost of a funeral, or even the return ticket back to Liberia, where thank God, my father is alive. Then I hear about a dear friend, upon whom the very thing I greatly fear has befallen. Right now as I write this, he is stranded in a snow storm in America, without the cash to buy a return ticket home, or to pay for the funeral. Life's tests never cease.

Thank God for African insurance. I did what I could financially, and now I am using the abilities I have been blessed with to pass on this message. Those of you that are willing, and are touched by the situation of my friend have an opportunity. Please find it in your heart to make a contribution. So far about $700 has been gathered to assist him and his family. Any small amount you are able will help. If many of us contribute even $1 each, we can be proud of helping one of our brothers. It is also your own insurance and ticket to Heaven you will have purchased.

I will not be handling any of the money, but details on who to contact are given below. I trust the person and have since we were in elementary school and if otherwise I would not be recommending him. There are good people. Praise G-d!

To get updated information or to assist join the: "Support for John and Dorcas Tamba" facebook group. You can find it among the groups I am a member of. Veteran missionary and longtime friend Alan Shea will be managing the collection.

No comments:

Post a Comment